Social Business Trust
SBT’s mission is to support high growth potential social enterprises to scale-up their impact. It does that by investing cash grants and professional support from its eight partner organisations in a carefully selected portfolio of social enterprises.
By supporting people with mental health needs to stay in, or secure work, Twining quite simply changes lives. We’re excited to be working with Twining, providing world-class business expertise and targeted cash support to make that transformation possible for many more.
Adele Blakebrough MBE, CEO, Social Business Trust
SBT began supporting Twining Enterprise in 2016 and in September 2017 announced a package of cash and in-kind support worth £485,000 to help us expand our reach and impact. As part of that, SBT is providing us with experts from across its corporate partners to support our work. In particular, SBT has:
- Facilitated the development of a robust business strategy.
- Supported us to develop sound financial projections for the next three years, a period of increased growth and complexity for which the charity would have struggled to develop such reliable figures for without their support.
- Provided experts from Thomson Reuters to support a transformation in our Human Resources processes.
- Mobilised experts from IBM, who are working with us to overhaul our data capture and management systems to ensure they are fit for purpose for the scale the charity is quickly growing to.
- Given us on-going support to understand how to best measure and demonstrate our impact, vital given the nature of the contracts and grants we are delivering.
- Organised mentoring from EY around our communications and brand to help us improve our image, so that it better reflects the quality and scope of our work.
- Begun working with us to ensure effective Governance including:
- Supporting our Board to deliver robust and transparent governance.
- Helping us to develop best practise as a Board.
- Fostering a strong and productive Chair and Chief Executive relationship.
SBT’s support for us is overseen by our SBT Investment Director, Vineet Khurana, Chief Financial Officer of IBM UK & Ireland. He is supported in that role by Jack Alcock, Investment Professional at global investment firm, Permira.
Twining Enterprise has already doubled the number of London Boroughs it can deliver services in across 2016-17. Many charities and social enterprises particularly struggle with this kind of rapid growth regardless of having grants and contracts in place to support it. Which is why SBT support is vital to Twining at this juncture.
SBT support will enable us to establish best in class standards and practices across our operations, helping us to excel in our complex operating environment and ensure we can match the front end growth in our business with an effective back office.
Read about our work with Vineet Khurana, Chief Financial Officer at IBM UK & Ireland.